Information for Canadian Travellers Visiting Lithuania
From 2023, it will be easy to travel to Lithuania from Canada thanks to the new ETIAS visa waiver system. This new program allows visa-exempt countries such as Canada, the UK, and the US (among many more) to visit the beautiful Baltic country without much hassle. Canadians will be able to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver online, and the process will be relatively straightforward, only requiring a password, an email address, and sufficient funds to pay the ETIAS fee. For further information regarding the countries requiring ETIAS from Canadian travelers, please visit our homepage. Here is some essential travel information for Canadians looking to visit Lithuania.
A Brief History of Lithuania
The first mention of Lithuania is found in Roman sources from 853 AD. The country became a duchy under the control of German rulers before becoming part of Poland in 1660 and Russia in 1772. Lithuania ultimately became independent. After World War I, Lithuania declared independence from the Russian Empire after World War I, became an independent republic on February 16th, 1918, and joined the League of Nations.
In 1940, Lithuania was invaded by the Soviet Union during World War II and annexed into the USSR until 1990, when it regained its independence following the fall of communism in Eastern Europe.
Lithuania has been an active participant throughout history, with key events including:
- early Christianization
- influence on the Protestant Reformation
- legacy of the Polish Renaissance
- role during the Russian Revolution and the subsequent Soviet Union
- Lithuanian War for Independence (1918)
Since 2004, Lithuania has been a member of NATO. The nearby exclave of Kaliningrad remains a contentious issue in international politics between Lithuania and Russia. Following the invasion of Ukraine, Lithuania reiterated its support for the inclusion of Finland and Sweden in NATO, seeing the alliance as the only deterrence force against a possible Russian invasion.
Travel to Lithuania made easy
Lithuania is a country in the Baltic Sea, located in Northern Europe. It’s a small country, but it’s very diverse. Here are some tips to help you plan to travel to Lithuania.
- Planning your trip: The best way to plan your trip is to research what you want to do and then book the activities you wish to do ahead of time.
- How long will it take you: It takes about 4 hours from Toronto, Canada, by car or bus, and about 3 hours by plane.
- Traveling from Canada: If you’re traveling from Canada, ensure you have a valid Canadian passport. You’ll also need a valid visa for Lithuania if traveling from another country other than the United States of America or European Union countries. You can travel with your Canadian passport to many of the best countries in Europe, including Lithuania.
What are the Most Popular Things to See and Do in Lithuania?
Lithuania is a country in Northern Europe. It is known for its natural beauty and rich history. Here are some of the most popular things to do and see in Lithuania:
- Vilnius Old Town – The Old Town contains the largest concentration of medieval buildings in Europe.
- Hill of Crosses – This hill, located on the outskirts of Vilnius, is covered with thousands of crosses made from wood and metal by Lithuanian Catholics who believe that Jesus Christ will return to earth there.
- Švėrštas National Park – The park has many trails that lead through forests and lakes.
- Curonian Spit – This spit is a narrow strip of land between Lithuania and Latvia that offers beautiful beaches, cliffs, dunes, marshes, pine forests, and sand.
Which Baltic Sea town is best? Vilnius or Kaunas?
Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania, and Kaunas is the second-largest city. The capital has a lot of history and is a fantastic destination for a weekend getaway. At the same time, Kaunas has more modern attractions and offers more shopping opportunities.
The best time to visit Lithuania’s capital Vilnius is during the summer when you can enjoy its famous festivals like the Lithuanian Song Festival. However, if you want to visit during wintertime, it’s best to see it during Christmas or around New Year’s Eve.
Kaunas, on the other hand, is popular in both summer and wintertime because it has a lot of attractions like museums, theaters, parks, and restaurants open all year round.
What About the Lithuania Capital, Vilnius, and Where Should You Stay There?
Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania. It is a beautiful city with plenty to do and see. Here are some of the best places to stay in Vilnius.
The first place you should stay in Vilnius is the old town, which has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It has cobblestone streets and beautiful architecture that will make you feel like you’re in Europe’s most beautiful city. The second place you should stay is on Gediminas Hill, where plenty of hotels and restaurants can choose from. Last but not least, if you want something closer to the airport, staying at Hotel Kaunas Palace will be your best option for an affordable price!
Where Should You Stay in Vilnius?
- Hotel Švitrigaila: this hotel is located near the central train station and offers free Wi-Fi and breakfast.
- Hotel Laisvės: this hotel has a fitness center, sauna, and pool. They also offer complimentary breakfast for guests.
- Vilniaus Apartments: these apartments are located near the central train station and offer free Wi-Fi services.
How Much Will It Cost Me to Travel to Lithuania?
This is a question that many people ask themselves before they travel to another country. However, the answer is not as easy as it may seem.
The cost of traveling from Canada to Lithuania can vary depending on the type of trip you plan. For example, staying in a hotel for one night can cost between $50 and $ 200. It will be roughly $1,000 for a three-day trip from Canada to Lithuania.
You should also take into account the ETIAS fee cost, which every applicant must pay, If you are traveling with children or with elderly over 70, they will be exempted from this fee. Still, adults must pay it to submit their form and receive travel authorization. Learn more about this on our Application page.